In our efforts to connect young folks with traditional music, here is a directory of music teachers. We hope to someday have a searchable database, but for now, use the list below to locate a teacher. Clicking on their name will take you to their website or provide you with additional contact information.
This is not a comprehensive list, is only as accurate as information has been provided to us, and we cannot guarantee that these teachers will have availability for new students, or that there are currently teaching. Its offered as a resource for getting in touch with teachers in your area.
- Emma Back at home studio in Burlington and Vermont Violins in Montpelier. Fiddle and Voice – Classical Suzuki Violin Method, Jazz, Eastern-European Fiddle, Improvisation, World-Folk, Classical and Broadway Voice. Breathandbowstudio@gmail.com. 802-793-5586 breathandbow.com
- Sarah Blair (Burlington, Montpelier) Fiddle: Traditional Irish
- Matthew Brouard (Burlington) Highland Bagpipes, Small Pipes, Border Pipes and Scottish Fiddle.
- Hannah Assefa (Chittenden and Franklin Counties) Fiddle: Celtic/Cape Breton/Scottish Pipe Tunes
- Dominique Dodge (Burlington, Montpelier, Middlebury) Harp, singing Harp (Irish, Scottish, Cape Breton), Song (Scots, Irish, English, Appalachian & Scottish Gaelic)
- Hollis Easter (Burlington and northern NY) Scottish bagpipes (Great Highland pipes, border pipes, smallpipes); wooden flute; whistle Scottish, Irish, playing for dancing (contra, Scottish, English)
- Joanne Garton (Montpelier) Fiddle, intermediate cello, Intro to fiddle, Scottish fiddle
- Andy Greene (South Burlington) guitar, mandolin, banjo, singing/songwriting and performance, one-on-one and in group settings
- Sarah Hotchkiss (Burlington, Winooski) Fiddle: Age 3 to adult, Beginning clawhammer style banjo: Age 5 – adult, Ukulele: Age 4 – 6 New England, Celtic (with a focus on Welsh Traditional), Old Time
- McKinley James (Burlington, Shelburne) Cello, all ages, trad music for classical players
- Jackie Lewis (Franklin and Chittenden County) Highland Bagpipes, Scottish Smallpipes, Borderpipes, and Scottish Harp/Clarsach
- Peter MacFarlane (lessons at home in Addison) Fiddle General Celtic, specialising in Scottish, I take students from age 10 through adult. I am happy to take complete beginners.
- Iain MacHarg (Marshfield and surrounding area) Highland bagpipes, Flemish & French pipes, Scottish Smallpipes, Borderpipes, Whistle, Irish Flute Scottish, Irish, Cape Breton, French, and Breton playing styles
- Tom MacKenzie (Montpelier area) Banjo, Ukulele, Hammered Dulcimer Old Time, Clawhammer Banjo Beginner – Advanced
- Laura Markowitz (Chittenden County, with a studio in Richmond) Fiddle: Irish and Swedish styles
- Jeremiah McLane (Montpelier, Sharon) Accordion and piano: Quebecois, Irish, Scandinavian, French, blues, jazz, cajun/zydeco
- Hazen Metro (Chittenden Country) Highland Bagpipes, Border Pipes, Traditional Irish Flute Traditional Scottish and Irish styles, as well as modern Scottish styles for advanced players
- John Mowad (Burlington, Winooski) Fiddle, guitar, mandolin, bass guitar, Basic technique and applied theory, old-time, blues and jazz (improvisation)
- Annabel Moynihan (Waterbury) Fiddle, violin Classic (Suzuki method), American classical tradition (Mark O’Connor),Traditional Irish music. Ages 3 and up.
- Brian Perkins (Burlington) Mandolin, Guitar, Tenor Banjo, Cornet, Ukulele Common folk and bluegrass styles
- Eric Recchia (Burlington area) Brazilian drumming and swing dance/Lindy hop
- Mary Ann Samuels (Burlington) piano, dulcimer, pennywhistle, recorder
- Oliver Scanlon (Greater Burlington area) Fiddle, Mandolin: Traditional styles – Quebecois, Irish, New England, Contradance tunes, Fiddle and Mandolin Technique
- Pete Sutherland (Burlington-Middlebury area) Fiddle, 5 string banjo, guitar, mandolin, piano. Fiddle (all styles, above the absolute beginner level). 5-string banjo, folk guitar, mandolin, folk/contradance piano, mentoring in composition and applied theory.
- Katie Trautz (Central VT: Montpelier, Richmond and Cabot) Fiddle, Voice basic violin, old-time, swedish and cajun
- Julia Wayne (Southern Chittenden County and Northern Addison County) Singing, clogging, beginner and intermediate ukulele, guitar, banjo, and mandolin traditional/ folk/old time
- Tessa Anderson (at Music Dojo in Burlington and home in Fletcher) Flute – Irish, Jazz, classical, improvisation, music theory and composition. ‘Learn to play the music you love.’
- Yasi Zeichner (Central VT: Montpelier, Northfield, Roxbury area) Fiddle: Traditional Irish, some New England, Old Time, and Klezmer, all ages. Irish sean nós percussive dance.