In our efforts to connect young folks with traditional music, here is a directory of music teachers. We hope to someday have a searchable database, but for now, please use the list below to locate a teacher. Clicking on their name will take you to their website or provide you with contact information.
Please note, this is an incomplete (and growing!) list, and we cannot guarantee that each of these teachers will have availability for new students. We hope you will use this as a resource for getting in touch with teachers in your area.
- Brian Perkins (Burlington) Mandolin, Guitar, Tenor Banjo, Cornet, Ukulele Common folk and bluegrass styles
- Pete Sutherland (Burlington-Monkton-Middlebury area) Fiddle, 5 string banjo, guitar, mandolin, piano. Fiddle (all styles, above the absolute beginner level). 5-string banjo, folk guitar, mandolin, folk/contradance piano, mentoring in composition and applied theory.
- Ellen Powell (Burlington, VT) Upright and electric bass: Folk to jazz, improvisation. What I teach will enable you to play any style you want.
- Oliver Scanlon (Greater Burlington area) Fiddle, Mandolin: Traditional styles – Quebecois, Irish, New England, Contradance tunes, Fiddle and Mandolin Technique
- Julia Wayne (Southern Chittenden County and Northern Addison County) Singing, clogging, beginner and intermediate ukulele, guitar, banjo, and mandolin traditional/ folk/old time
- Hannah Beth Crary (Chittenden and Franklin Counties) Fiddle: Celtic/Cape Breton/Scottish Pipe Tunes
- Sarah Hotchkiss (Burlington) Fiddle: Age 3 to adult, Beginning clawhammer style banjo: Age 5 – adult, Ukulele: Age 4 – 6 New England, Celtic (with a focus on Welsh Traditional), Old Time
- Tom MacKenzie (Montpelier area) Banjo, Ukulele, Hammered Dulcimer Old Time, Clawhammer Banjo Beginner – Advanced
- Katie Trautz (Central VT: Montpelier, Richmond and Cabot) Fiddle, Voice basic violin, old-time, swedish and cajun
- Peter MacFarlane (lessons at home in Addison) Fiddle General Celtic, specialising in Scottish, I take students from age 10 through adult. I am happy to take complete beginners.
- Joanne Garton (Montpelier) Fiddle, intermediate cello, Intro to fiddle, Scottish fiddle
- Sarah Blair (Montpelier) Fiddle: Traditional Irish
- Hazen Metro (Chittenden Country) Highland Bagpipes, Border Pipes, Traditional Irish Flute Traditional Scottish and Irish styles, as well as modern Scottish styles for advanced players
- John Mowad (Burlington) Fiddle, guitar, mandolin, bass guitar, Basic technique and applied theory, old-time, blues and jazz (improvisation)
- Mary Ann Samuels (Burlington) piano, dulcimer, pennywhistle, recorder
- Laura Markowitz (Chittenden County, with a studio in Richmond) Fiddle: Irish and Swedish styles
- Jeremiah McLane (Montpelier, and south) Accordion and piano: Quebecois, Irish, Scandinavian, French, blues, jazz, cajun/zydeco
- Robert Ryan (Burlington / Middlebury / Montpelier) Fiddle: Irish music for pupils of all ages and abilities, specializing in the traditional styles of Clare, Limerick and Kerry.
- Dominique Dodge (Burlington, Montpelier, Middlebury) Harp, singing Harp (Irish, Scottish, Cape Breton), Song (Scots, Irish, English, Appalachian & Scottish Gaelic)
- Iain MacHarg (Marshfield and surrounding area) Highland bagpipes, Flemish & French pipes, Scottish Smallpipes, Borderpipes, Whistle, Irish Flute Scottish, Irish, Cape Breton, French, and Breton playing styles
- Hollis Easter (Burlington and northern NY) Scottish bagpipes (Great Highland pipes, border pipes, smallpipes); wooden flute; whistle Scottish, Irish, playing for dancing (contra, Scottish, English)
- Annabel Moynihan (Waterbury) Fiddle, violin Classic (Suzuki method), American classical tradition (Mark O’Connor),Traditional Irish music. Ages 3 and up.
- Eric Recchia (Burlington area) Brazilian drumming and swing dance/Lindy hop
- Jackie Lewis (Franklin and Chittenden County) Highland Bagpipes, Scottish Smallpipes, Borderpipes, and Scottish Harp/Clarsach
- Matthew Brouard Highland Bagpipes and Scottish Fiddle
- Tessa Anderson (at Music Dojo in Burlington and home in Fletcher) Flute – Irish, Jazz, classical, improvisation, music theory and composition. ‘Learn to play the music you love.’