template / single events post
9 May 2014 - 11 May 2014 All day
more info about Young Tradition Vermont at www.youngtraditionvermont.org
Young Tradition Weekend is scheduled for May 9, 10 and 11, 2014 at multiple locations Burlington and Shelburne. The weekend highlights involvement by children, youth and young adults in traditional dance and music.
Friday May 9th
● School assembly dance with Young Tradition Vermont performers including Sarah King and others in the afternoon at the Integrated Arts Academy in Burlington. Not a public event-for IAA students only.
● Contra Dance with Amelia Fontein and Guillaume Sparrow-Pepin (callers) and Jokers Wild (Everest and Alden Witman and Aidan Murphy) from 8pm to 11pm at the Shelburne Town Hall. This dance is part of a series of monthly dances presented by the Queen City Contras. Admission charged.
Saturday May 10th
● Showcase Contest featuring over 70 young singers, musicians, and dancers from 11am to 3pm at Battery Park in Burlington. One of a variety activities during Kids Day, the annual event presented by Burlington Parks and Recreation. Admission to Kids Day and the Showcase Contest is FREE.
● Baird 5 Music Session with Jokers Wild from 1pm to 2pm at the Vermont Children’s Hospital in Burlington. Not a public event- this is for children, families and staff only.
● Awards Reception from 6pm to 7pm featuring guest presenters TBA in the lobby at City Hall in Burlington. FREE pizza!
● Concert at 7pm featuring Les Poules a Colin in Contois Auditorium at City Hall in Burlington. Suggested donation.
Sunday May 11th
● Fiddleheads at SpringFest at Shelburne Museum at 1pm and 2pm for the annual opening of the Shelburne Museum.
● Contest Winners Concert at 7pm featuring the Piper’s Den (Tristan Henderson, Hazen Metro and Rob Ryan) and TBA 2014 Contest Winners at the New City Galerie on Church Street in Burlington. Suggested donation.
Young Tradition Weekend events are presented by Young Tradition Vermont and Burlington Parks and Recreation with Integrated Arts Academy, Queen City Contras, Vermont Children’s Hospital, Shelburne Museum, New City Galerie and others.
The Showcase Contest will be held on Saturday 5/10/14 in the band shell at Battery Park in Burlington, 11am to 3pm, at the same time as Kids Day. Confirmed contestants include:
Repertoire will include folk/traditional music or dance by singers, instrumentalists and dancers 25 years old or younger. Prizes will include performance opportunities as opening acts at concerts and festivals, cash, and more. Awards will be presented at the awards reception starting at 6pm at City Hall in Burlington.
There are no advance tickets for any events, but admission can be reserved by email@example.com. A portion of each admission events is donated to the Tom Sustic Fund, which supports families with children with life-altering/life-threatening conditions.
Sponsors of Young Tradition Vermont includes Burlington Parks and Recreation, the Turrell Fund, Bari and Peter Dreissigacker, Judy Allan, Vermont Violins, Jim Burns, Professional Postering and Distribution, and others